If you’ve been thinking about a career change, NOW is the best time to start putting your thoughts into action before the situation becomes a crisis. Waiting too long to find a new job can cause serious stress, depression, relationship problems, and pent-up anger–as well as prolong a miserable work situation.
You may find yourself at your wit’s end one day and impulsively quit on the spot, which will ruin your chances to maintain a positive relationship or get a good recommendation from your past employer. Or, worst case you could end up getting fired because you’re not productive.
Eight Signs It’s Time to Start Your Job Search
- You are already thinking about changing jobs because you dislike your job, your co-workers or your boss. Your family and friends are tired of hearing you complain.
- Every dinner conversation starts with negative comments about your day at work. Eyes roll.
- You spend all day dreaming about retirement or that you’re on a beautiful beach somewhere. You get behind and the stress mounts.
- You have trouble getting to sleep, or you wake up during the night with worries about your job and feel tired all day.
- You have headaches, frequent colds or other physical signs of stress.
- You’re drinking or smoking too much or eating compulsively to comfort yourself. Or you’ve completely lost your appetite and are losing weight.
- You dread Mondays and have trouble waking up in time for work. Or you may be having anxiety attacks. Is that you yelling and honking in traffic on the way to work?
- You are less productive at work, lack passion and feel bored. You appear to be working while you’re really on Facebook, Pinterest or Youtube, wasting time and worrying about getting caught. More anxiety.
What Should You Do?
If you are experiencing any of the above signs, it’s time to move on, but don’t just quit your job. It’s easier to get hired when you’re working. You don’t know how long it will take you to find another job, and you may not be able to collect unemployment benefits if you quit.
You are no different than a professional athlete. Professional athletes demand the most and get the most for moving to a new team when they are at the peak of performance with their current team. Don’t wait until you are completely burned out in your current role and are on the backside of peaking.
It’s also hard to find the time and energy to do a good search when you are still on the job. So the best and least stressful way to start your search is to contact Fuse3 Solutions. Our experienced employment specialists already have a large inventory of positions that need to be filled from our extensive network of companies we serve. Our recruiters are experts at matching our clients with the best job fit possible. We do the searching, set up your interviews and handle all the details. And it doesn’t cost you a thing.